- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (no need to thaw)
- 2 (19 oz/398 mL) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco Green Sauce
- 3 cups chopped kale, tough stems removed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, stems okay
- Optional toppings: chopped cilantro, sour cream, grated white cheddar, lime wedges, sliced
avocado, corn tortilla chips, more hot sauce
- In a Dutch oven, warm the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and jalapeno. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion has softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is lightly browned on the outside and no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Toss in the garlic, spices, salt, and sugar. Cook for a few minutes just to toast the spices. Add the sweet potatoes, red pepper, and corn. Stir to combine. Add the beans, chicken broth, and
- Tabasco Green Sauce. Bring to a simmer, turn the heat down to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and cilantro. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and adjust seasonings with more salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
- Divide into bowls. Garnish with toppings and additional Tabasco Green Sauce.
Note: Can use ground turkey or chorizo sauce instead of the ground chicken. Can use cooked lentils, black beans, kidney beans or chickpeas instead of the white beans. Can omit the meat and use additional vegetables to keep it vegetarian. Swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth. Omit the dairy, if you’re looking for a vegan option.
Tostadas are super simple! I basically just spread a little cold chili on top of a corn tortilla, top with cheese and bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes until the cheese is melted. Garnish with sour cream, cilantro, pickled red onions, and dig in. More info on how to make tostadas here.
To Make Nachos…
Put some of your favourite tortilla chips onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Top with some of
the chili (it’s okay if it’s cold) and add shredded cheddar cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted
and gooey and the chili is hot, about 15 minutes at 350F. Serve with your favourite nacho