Sweet & Spicy Steak Fajita Tacos
Sweet & Spicy Marinade
- 45ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 4 medium jalapeño peppers, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 30ml honey
- 120ml TABASCO® Sauce
- 240ml tomato juice
- 900g of skirt steak, cleaned and trimmed of fat, cut into 6-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium red onion, sliced paper thin into half moons
- 1 bunch cilantro (coriander), chopped including stems
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon TABASCO® Sauce, plus more for serving
- Zest and juice of 3 limes
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- 2 limes cut into wedges for serving
Prepare the Sweet & Spicy Marinade
- Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, add the oil and heat until oil is smoking. Add the onions, garlic, jalapeños, cumin and paprika and cook until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the honey, TABASCO® Sauce and tomato juice and bring to a boil, cooking for about 4 minutes before removing from heat.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and pulse until smooth. Allow the purée to cool to room temperature and then place mixture in refrigerator until chilled.
- Place the skirt steaks into a sealable plastic zipper bag and add half of the purée, making sure to coat the steaks fully. Store chilled for at least 12 hours and up to 72 hours.
- Place the remaining purée in a sealable bowl, season with a tablespoon of salt and refrigerate.
Prepare the Fajita Steak
- When you’re ready to grill the steaks, season them with salt and pepper and allow them to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. Grill over extremely high heat, about 5-6 minutes, on the first side, then turn and cook 4-5 minutes on the second side, until they are nicely charred on both sides.
- Move steaks to a cutting board to rest at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl mix together the chopped red onion, cilantro, spring onions, lime juice, lime zest, and remaining 1 tablespoon TABASCO® Sauce. Heat the tortillas on the grill and place in a folded towel to keep warm.
- Cut the steaks across the grain into 1/2-inch slices. Place 2 or 3 slices of the steak in a warmed tortilla and add a heaping tablespoon of the red onion-spring onion salsa. Finish with a teaspoon of the original purée, a squeeze of lime, and more TABASCO® Sauce. Serve the tacos with your favorite toppings on the side, like shredded cheese, sliced jalapeños, cilantro, etc.