Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1large onion
- 1medium eggplant
- 4Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4large tomatoes or a can of tomatoes (28 ounces)
- Saltto taste
- 1tbsp paprika
- ½tbsp cumin
- 2 to 3tbsp of Tabasco®Habanero pepper sauce (or if you prefer a milder option, use Tabasco®Green)
- ½ tspsugar
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Crumbled feta and parsley to taste
- Chop onions finely. Dice eggplant and tomatoes into ½-inch cubes. Place eggplant in a colander, and salt it to draw out liquids. Mince garlic finely.
- Heat a large non-stick pan to medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of oil and onion. Sauté on medium heat for 5 minutes, then lower heat to medium-low and cook for another 5.
- When onions have turned golden, add 2 tbsp of oil and eggplant cubes. Let brown for a few minutes. When eggplant has soaked up all the oil, add remaining oil and toss eggplant to coat. Continue browning for 10 minutes, turning pieces occasionally to ensure equal coverage until all have coloured evenly.
- Add tomatoes. Stir occasionally until they all break down into a chunky sauce (approximately 15 to 25 minutes). Add chopped garlic cloves, spices and Tabasco®sauce.
- With a wooden spoon, make holes in the sauce and crack one egg per hole. Cover the pan and let the eggs cook on medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until they are white and no longer translucent.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon, sprinkle with crumbled feta and chopped parsley.