Recipe created by Kristy Gardner from She Eats
Homemade Beer Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil1 cup chopped onion, 1/2” pieces
- 1 cup chopped carrots, 1/2” pieces
- 1 cup chopped celery, 1/2” pieces
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper, 1/2” pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 large bay leaves3 cloves garlic, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 pound ground meat (pick your favourite!)
- 14-ounce canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dark beer (porter, pale ale, or a nice stout)
- 2 tablespoons TABASCO® Chipotle sauce
- 7-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 7-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 7-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 7-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- Coarse sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Drizzle olive oil into a large stockpot placed over medium heat. When oil is shimmering but not smoking, add the onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, oregano, cumin, bay leaves, and a healthy dose of salt and pepper. Stir well. Cook for approximately 5 min to soften.
- Add garlic. Stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Add ground meat and stir occasionally until cooked through.
- Turn the heat to high and pour in the diced tomatoes, beer, TABASCO® Chipotle sauce, all the beans, and season generously with salt and pepper. Stir well. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the whole kernel corn to the mixture, stir, and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, diced red onion, sliced avocado, grated Cheddar or Cotija cheese, green onion, additional TABASCO® sauce, and more beer.
- You can make the following recipes using your chili leftovers:
- Slow beer braised chili & broccoli: http://sheeats.ca/beer-braised-beef-broccoli
- Deconstructed Mexican hummus dip: http://sheeats.ca/deconstructed-mexican-hummus-dip